Fear of doctors and physical examinations. Can I be sedated while examinations are completed?

Question
i have an intense fear of doctors and of getting physical exams, to the point where i have not seen any physician for a number of years now. i am approaching 40 and i know that i am putting my health and well being at risk the longer i wait and it is for that reason that i am asking, can i go to a doctor (not having the option of getting to know them because most doctors won't talk to you for weeks and weeks before wanting to examine you), and can i ask to be sedated so that i can relax and get through the exam without pain or an anxiety attack? (I live in Ontario, Canada and i am not sure what the protocols here might be).
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Some people do have a fear of doctors called white coat fear. Just be relaxed.
You do need to have a thorough examination to detect any early changes in your health.
You can have a seat while being examined and can relax also to overcome the apprehension. You have to overcome your anxiety and fear as it can cause you to avoid needed medical care. It can put your health and well-being at risk, and may ultimately result in difficult, complicated medical procedures for conditions that would have initially been easy to treat.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Fear of doctors and physical examinations. Can I be sedated while examinations are completed? 18 hours later

MY ANSWER: My fear goes beyond "white coat" fear, if i were able to relax i would have done so a long time ago. My fear stems from a history of abuse that i have never received treatment for (and even now, writing this, i am on the verge of panic). i need help OR i need to be sedated during the exam (and the problem WITH getting help, i can only get the help BY going through a physical exam....i won't get a referral otherwise)......Do you see my dilemma here? i am undiagnosed but i am pretty sure that i have anxiety attack that i ran from the office both times......i don't trust people until i get to know them, i need to have a feeling of control, there is nothing at a doctors office that makes me feel like i have any control at all. i have to stop now because just sitting here typing this is difficult. i hope one of you has an answer for me.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

I can understand your concern.

I'm sorry that you have to go through such severe anxiety and distress.

I assure you that the doctors will be able to understand and will be gentle and considerate. You will have to come to terms with your need to get professional help and your extreme anxiety at some point of time. But sooner the better.

It all depends on you. You can choose to ab as strong as you wish to be. If you are strong, no one can harm you in any way.

more over, doctors are the ones who can infect understand your problem and will be able to help you.

I understand that you are very anxious about physician visits, so the option for you would be initially talk to a councillor to get over this fear to some extent and then visit a psychiatrist for more focussed psychotherapy and medical therapy to deal with this problem.

You have to believe that the doctors are there to help you if you give them a chance to help you.

So it is always you who is in control.

And when you do visit a physician for an examination, there is always an option to ask the doctor to sedate you for the exam and ask the doctor to conduct the examination in the presence of a female friend of yours. In addition you can also request for a video recording of the entire physical consultation.

So be confident that you are always in control.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Regards.