Fatigue, irritability, leg muscle weakness, blood work showed elevated lymphocytes. Family history of brain cancer.

Increasing fatigue and irritability over last 6 months or so. Caught son's cold, then recovered quickly. A few weeks later, suddenly struck with extreme weakness, feeling as if someone had slipped me drugs in a sense: All over, particularly leg muscle weakness, cognitive changes (lack of concern over deadlines, difficulty following tasks, immediate time thinking only, inability to follow conversations, no concern about future, no depression, irritability went away, I found things comical that normally I wouldn't) no coughing. no nasal drip, no congestion. constant headaches. burning and tingling on scalp. Ear pain (still present) despite visual of ears being fine for weeks per dr., 3 days of constant pressure under chin from neck to chin, sensitivity to light, marked numbness on top of foot, weakness in legs, tingling sensations on arm, leg. Blood work revealed mildly elevated lymphocytes and low neurophils, and slightly low glucose. I eat all throughout the day, and had an XXXXXXX about 45 minutes prior to the blood draw. Thyroid came back as fine. No anemia. Normally have somewhat fitful sleep, but during this week of weird symptoms, I slept 10+ hours easily and was groggy waking up. Have no history of being a hypochondriac, and haven't been to the doctor prior to this event (aside from obgyn) since 2003. Dr ordered MRI of brain (without contrast). Symptoms lasted 1 week (starting to improve last Friday, same day as MRI). Most have basically subsided, but I still feel constant pressure in my head, headaches, ear pressure, some neck pain, and vision weirdness/sharpness. Fatigue (worse in afternoon despite my not working for over a week now) and increased irritability have also returned. Still not 100% mentally on other issues though. My Dr. called today after speaking with radiologist (haven't gotten report yet) and my MRI supposedly all normal. But I just do not feel right. I'm concerned something was missed either in the MRI or in considering other potential reasons for issues at hand. I am not concerned about a brain tumor fyi, but I have a family history of brain cancer. I'm more concerned Dr. was so focused on family history that something else was overlooked...but I'm not a doctor, so that isn't really a fair assessment for me to make! Also, may not matter, but I've been exposed to an extended tick bite in a lyme tick area out of state in 2007, but had no notable symptoms during that time. Tick bite was on my head and went undiscovered for about 20 hours and was attached during that time. Son also bangs my head (hard!) accidentally with his from time to time (he's 2 1/2)...but aside from that, no injuries, car accidents etc. Basically I just want to know if ventricles are normal or could be contributing to any of this...and also if there is anything that may have been missed by the MRI since it didn't have contrast (first bought of MS, or other issue?) or that I should explore going forward. Thank you so much for your assistance. Sorry this is so long. I type 85 words per minute. :-)
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 hours later

I see that you have posted your query to a radiologist to discuss regarding your brain scans. As none of the radiologists have picked the question, let me take this opportunity to answer your query.

Let me introduce myself to you first. I am Dr. Prasad and as you see on my profile I am general physician. I have been associated with the department of Neurology working with experienced Neurologist for awhile. I do get to discuss Brain and Spine MRI/CT scans with known radiologist at my hospital. Accordingly I have taken a curbside consultation regarding your case.

The brain MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) scans attached to this query are T1, T2 and T2 Flair weighted axial sections of the brain. Though we are unable to view the complete ventricular system, the images attached are appearing normal. It would be been better if you could have sent us the complete MRI film with the reports to be able to give you a complete and detailed opinion.

However, looking at these scan images, the doctors believe that there is no evident features to explain the symptoms that you described. A neurologist may be able to suggest any other alternative possibilities - organic or psychological.

If you wish, I shall proceed taking an opinion from a neurologist too. And I do encourage you to post back the complete brain MRI films with the reports here.

Awaiting your response.

Best Regards