Fasting sugar is higher than post prandial. Advised to take gemer 2DS, Xmet SR and Glucobay. Fasting sugar fluctuating. Need advise?

Why Fasting sugar is higher than PP. Previously I was taking Glycide MR 60 before lunch and dinner and OBIMET 1g after lunch and dinner. my diabetologist has advised to take GEMER 2DS half hour befor BF and Dinner . Xmet SR fter lunch only. Glucobay 50mg with breakfast and lunch. I found that sugar lever in fastin erratic sometimes it shows 75 and more often >120 suggest your opinion
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Relax,same drugs.Occassional variation acceptable

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX

Fasting sugar levels are erratic and becomes higher than post prandial if blood sugar level at night is not controlled. But at your age (69 years) the level from 75 to 120 is acceptable. Occasional raise in sugar level to 137 is OK and may be due to other problem like any infection, irregular food habits, etc.

Now continue the drugs you are taking like
GEMER 2DS half hour befor BF and Dinner .
Xmet SR after lunch only.
Glucobay 50mg with breakfast and lunch.
You may require addition of metformin in night time if the sugar levels are very erratic. For this you can discuss with your treating diabetologist whether to add one more drug.

For my patients I will usually continue the same drugs and monitor HbA1c to be around 7% and if the sugar levels are very erratic then will add metformin 500mg to the evening dose. Otherwise it is acceptable.

Keep monitoring your renal function test, retina (fundoscopy) and HbA1c level.
Take only required calories of food distributed through out the day and do regular exercises. Stop smoking and restrict alcohol (If any).

Hope this answered your question. Be relaxed. Feel free to ask me if any related queries and I will be free to answer them..

Wish you good health.