Fast pulse in the morning. Smoker, drinker. Should health checkup be done?

My 34 yr old son has fast pulse 75-80 in the morning. He smokes and drinks. should he have health check?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 17 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I have noted your problem and I do understand your concern

I agree with you and your son needs a medical check up with some routine investigations. Please note that alcoholics have a higher chance of having various health related problems than non-alcoholics. Increased heart rate could suggest a possibility of cardiac arrhythmia, though it needs to be investigated. A routine ECG test can detect this problem and rarely one need a long term holter monitoring. Other blood tests which will be needed are blood glucose, lipid profiles, thyroid functions etc. He could even be a hypertensive too.

So, I advise to get a medical check up.
Please get back to me if you have any concern
Best wishes