Fast heartbeat after smoking marijuana. Am I suffering from depersonalization?

Three days ago I smoked marijuana out of a bowl with someone and after my last hit I suddenly went into a complete panic, I just did not feel right, I felt very disconnected and my heart was beating fast. The rest of the night I still felt completely out of it and disconnected from everything. Things just did not seem normal or right. That night I couldn't sleep I woke up every hour and the next day I still felt out of it but it got better from time to time. That night I also had trouble sleeping but the next day was much better I only felt disconnected at some points. I went to bed extremely early early and woke up a few times in the middle of the night. One of the times I had had a dream that I had smoked and my heart was racing I could feel it really throbbing. Now this morning I am just extremely worried that something is wrong with me, that I ruined myself forever. I also am generally a very anxious person and I over think many things, but this just seems different. I still cannot shake this from my mind I just do not feel like myself, I went to the health center at school and they check my pulse, blood pressure, pupils, all the basics and I was great. I'm more worried about the mental aspect now. I did research and I am worried that I am suffering from depersonalization.
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Clarifications Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1 Did you take alcohol and any other drug along with cannabis 2. Have you ever had such experience or anxiety disorder before getting exposed to such a event 3. Do you have family history of psychiatric illness. Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: Fast heartbeat after smoking marijuana. Am I suffering from depersonalization? 19 hours later
I had drank alcohol the night before, I have anxiety problem in general, and no history of psychosis in my family.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Not a thing to worry Detailed Answer: Hello The phenomenon you are experiencing is de-realization. Yes it can occur with cannabis but the good part is that it is transient and you will recover from it soon. Cannabis is notorious for precipitating psychosis if you are having predisposition for the same. This current episode of derealization has shown that you should avoid taking cannabis at any cost in the future. As far as current episode is concerned it wont require any treatment and you should get well soon may be in 7 days time. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD Psychiatrist