Farted and got a clear wet spot on inner wear. Recently cleared mild food poisoning. What could have caused this?

General Surgeon
I had a light case of food poison this week on Wednesday, but got over it that day. Clear fluid leaking from the anus after stomach ache, enough to wet my butt and have to change my pants. This night, I farted and clear wet spot appeared thru my underwear and pants.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 43 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your watery diarrhea can be caused by stomach infection indeed. However, over the age of 50, such symptom can appear due to partial bowels obstruction caused by colon cancer. Such diarrhea usually appears alternately with constipation. Blood in stool can be present as well as weight loss, abdominal pain, bloating.

Clear wet spot on your underwear is most likely mucus. Intestine cells constantly produce mucus to help with stool passage. When there is some stool disturbance, mucus production is also disturbed. In addition, it may happen that mucus only bowel movement can appear.

Every person over the age of 50 with such symptoms should have colonoscopy performed. That is why I`m asking you to visit you doctor, have stool tests, stool culture test and colonoscopy done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.