Family history of heart failure. BP elevated. What are the odds?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my blood pressure is 133/96 is this normal i have had a blood pressure monitor on me my blood pressure was take and it was 177/111 my family history is my mother died of heart failure and my dad has had a heart attack.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later

Your blood pressure readings of 133/96 and 177/111 both are definitely high and need treatment.

Since you have family history of heart disease, there is an increased risk of Hypertension. Try to avoid staying up nights, use good lighting at work, try to reduce stress by taking frequent breaks at work, get 6-8 hours of sleep daily, do Yoga, Pranayam for stress relief as well. Kindly refrain from smoking, using tobacco of any kind, avoid high calorie meals, avoid junk food, stick to a low salt diet, eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by brisk walking daily for 40 minutes.

You need anti-hypertensive drugs to control your raised blood pressure which will be recommended by your physician after an examination. Half the battle involves diet and exercise modification which will be of great benefit in your case. You may need to get a few investigations by your Doctor to substantiate the cause and management of your condition like an Electrocardiogram (ECG), Kidney function tests, an Eye examination as well. Other investigations which may be ordered depend on the positive findings found on clinical examination at the discretion of your physician.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.