Fall from ladder, taken Motrin for pain and soreness. Lower back pain now. Need to bear down harder while using bathroom

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello there. Fell off a ladder at a height of approx 7 feet on friday afternoon. Landed on my back and instinctively jumped right up. Some pain initially, but took some motrin and figured on being sore through the weekend. Still somewhat sore; however, I am noticing that I am having increased lower back pain with right leg extensions while sitting. I also feel that I have to "bear down" harder while using the bathroom. Quite certain your response will be to go to the Dr and have x-rays/CT, but thought I'd throw it out there. No other neuro s/sx that I have noticed.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
After the fall since the normal daily movements are painless, bony injury is not likely. It seems that you have suffered a analgesic gel on the affected area.
The mild right leg extensions you are feeling on sitting and extra bearing down effort might be related to nerve compression due to local tissue swelling. The symptoms are likely to subside in a week or two. Taking methylcobalamin supplements will be helpful.
In case the symptoms are aggravated or any other neurological symptoms appear then you need a physical examination and necessary investigations at your orthopedician's office.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.