Fainted after harsh talks. Is it her personality that changes mood after harsh behavior?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi Doctor ,

I want to discuss about an incident which happened 3 weeks before . I am married and we are living together in and apartment alone .
One night there was a fight between me and my wife and she became very angry . The reason for fight was regarding a help
in kitchen which i could not do as i was booking ticket on line . And tat fight became very serious . After I cammed down
my wife she fainted in my lap . I got really scared as we are staying alone . So i called her mother and i tried to wake her
up by pouring water . She woke up after i tried to wake her in after 10 Min . She was not totally awake . She was telling something
else and all . She told no one love her and all and was not allowing me to talk to her parent she threw the phone . So i told her to
sleep and some how made her to sleep . After around 5 Min she woke up . She was perfectly fine but she didn't know wat had happened
. I didnt tell her also . Now i am really scared should i see a doctor ? . She told she could not control her anger and that was the reason
she fainted . But it happened only once in her life . Yesterday when I scolded her for making me wait for half hour
she again didn't react was crying and thinking and sitting in the Car . She was totally into thinking something and when i called her she was ok
. But I felt that incident has to do something with her character now when i scold or when she becomes sad or angry .

What should I do ? She is very energetic and happy all the time except when I scold her . And she never takes any fight serious unless its me .
And for last 3 weeks in between there was no problem at all . I am really trying not to fight and we fight very few only once in Month and all
and it usually gets over in 1 hour . But if this incident happens again what should I do ?
Should I tell her about that what she did after waking up that day ? She is not ready to see doctor also she is saying its just anger that she
is not able to control . Please do tell me what i have to do as soon as possible . I am really stressed out .
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 56 minutes later

Considering all above information and surrounding during that incidence, I would like to consider following possibilities in following hierarchy:

•     Unconsciousness spell due to excessive stress:It is also known as dissociative or hysterical spell. It is a very common condition in female during stress. But good thing is that, it is not a serious condition. If it is recurrent, then avoiding stress and will help.

•     Seizure spell: It is frequently associated with following symptoms- frothing, injury due to fall, tonic/clonic movements of body parts, passing urine/feces during spell and body-ache after spell. It is usually not precipitated by stress, so less likely.

•     Hypoglycemic spell: less likely as it used to happen in morning on empty stomach.

Currently there is no need to worry. It is better to not tell her about spell as it will increase her stress and future chances of developing similar spells.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Fainted after harsh talks. Is it her personality that changes mood after harsh behavior? 41 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank You very much for the reply . It was a big relife . I am having few more doubts

1. What should i do if she faints again . What is the best way to wake her up ?
2. Why did she became depressed when i scolded yesterday ? She was not speaking for 4-5 Min . She was like tired and yawning .
3. What are the best ways to de stress her ?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

Ans: Just keep her in comfortable position and sprinkle cold water on face.

Ans: It is usual to become stressed after altercation. Chances increases if you are more emotional. Stress also lead to tiredness.

Ans: Yoga, meditation and visiting psychologist for interpersonal conflict.