Facing severe hair fall problem. How to get rid of this?

I am facing severe hair fall since last 5-6 years. Have never consulted a doctor or tried any medicine.
I seem to be losing a lot of hair while combing, washing my hair. Also, a lot of hair on pillow.
Looking forward to some expert advice to avoid this any further.

Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
You might be having male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia where hair fall is seen in frontal temporal or vertex / centre of scalp.

Another cause of hair fall could be stress, nutritional deficiency, illness, thyroid deficiency or anemia. But this kind of hair fall cannot be persistent. Sometimes localised cause like dandruff or psoriasis too can cause hair fall.

The treatment approved by US FDA in androgenetic alopecia is
Minoxidil 5 percent solution 1ml twice in a day to be applied over scalp. One should always wash hands after application and the solution should not drip over face. It should not be applied in wet or oiled hair.
Tablet finesteride 1 mg to be taken once in a day.
As these are prescription drugs, it is always better to consult a dermatologist nearby prior to starting therapy.

I wouldbe in a better position to assist you, if you could tell me the pattern of your hair fall. If there has been a localised scalp factor or any other underlying cause.
Attaching an image of concerned area would help too.

Hope this helps.