Facing problem of pre mature ejaculation. Difficulty in erection, unable to hold erection. Medication?

I'm facing problem of pre mature ejaculation. I'm unable to hold my erection for more than a minute. I've heard there are medicines available for prolonged erection. Could you please suggest any. Also, off late Iv'e noticed I'm facing a bit of difficulty getting an erection. Though my mind is aroused, I'm unable to achieve a full erection. Are there any medicines available for this? Please advise.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 8 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your problem of pre-mature ejaculation is a common problem in young males. There are medication which can prolong ejaculatory time. A medication called Prilyxet (Dapoxetine) has been specifically approved for the treatment of pre-mature ejaculation. The recommended dosage is 30mg and can be taken as and when needed.

One major reason for pre-mature ejaculation is a hypersensitive response of the penis. For this, certain sexual techniques like the "stop-start technique" or "squeeze technique" have been proven to be successful in reducing this hypersensitivity and increasing the ejaculatory time.

In the stop-start technique, the penis is stimulated (by sexual intercourse or by masturbation) till a point when you feel close to orgasm. At that point, the stimulation is stopped for some time and after a small gap, it is continued. This process is repeated repeated a few times.

In the squeeze technique, the penis can be stimulated by hand (by masturbation or by your partner) till a point when you feel close to orgasm. At that point, the lower part of the head of the penis is squeezed tightly with the index finger and thumb around for a few seconds till the erection decreases. Then the stimulation is restarted and the process is repeated a few times.

Both these techniques, if practised regularly can increase your time taken for ejaculation.

Sub-conscious anxiety / fears / doubts about inadequate sexual performance (called as "performance anxiety") can also be a cause for sexual problems like pre-mature ejaculation and erection problems. So, it is important not to become very anxious or tensed about "performing well". You should get rid of any thoughts that you may be sexually inadequate or your doubts that you may not be able to perform properly, and be relaxed and confident.

For erection problems, there are certain medication which improve the blood flow to the penis and promote better erection. You can try Tadalafil (Megalis) tablets, if you wish. The recommended dosage is 10 or 20 mg, to be taken about 1 hour prior to sexual activity.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist