Facing problem of forgetting things easily. What should be done for cure?

now days im feeling lost i forget things quickly,i keep something oin place and if someone ask to provide me that thing i forget usually where i keep things,,due to this daily we have arguments in my home that i don"t remember things,i don"t knw what to do as i have a office pressure and home pressure as well might be im not able to manage all things
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Simmi Kumari 21 hours later

First of all, sorry for delayed response.

Now coming to your problem, as you have mentioned that you have problem of forgetting things easily. Due to that, you face altercation at home and having lot of family and office problems. You have also mentioned that you are pregnant and suffering from hypothyroidism.

Considering your situation I will like to tell various reasons for your symptoms and probable solution.
Firstly when a person has many stressors , their concentration get reduced as they think multiple things at one time and thus lack focused concentration in one act, which causes this forgetfulness . Once you start forgetting and face its consequences, the problem becomes another stressor and thus starts a vicious cycle , which even you get rid of, your original stressors can continue own its own.

Secondly you have mentioned you have hypothyroidism along with this problem, you may be having mild depression, which has initial symptoms like this and hypothyroidism is a very common precipitating and perpetuating factor.

Thirdly you are pregnant also, which can be another factor for your problem. You are having lots of hormonal changes in this process and some people are prone for mood symptoms during or around pregnancy.

Now for solution I advise you to have a face to face interview with a psychiatrist so that he / she can evaluate you for any depressive symptom and also can advice you whether you need only therapy or medical treatment according to your condition. Also get your thyroid profile repeated as your hypothyroidism may have worsened and you may need to increase your doses. This will further augment your treatment response.

You should be completely open about your situation in interview so that you could be diagnosed correctly and on time.

I hope this advice will be of your help. If any query left unanswered you can re-consult.