Facing backache problem. X-ray showed sligh slip disc on right side. Suggest some exercise and precaution

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am facing a backache problem from last 6 to 7 years now. In last 6 yrs i got 2 attack while taking bath in morning. my condition during these 2 times become so bad that i could stand on my feet.
i has consulted a doc and they told me that i hav sligh slip disc on right side. they hav recommended on to tak rest, and i become all right after 5 to 6 days rest.
can you pls suggest me some back excersis that can make my back muscles strong & precautions that i must take for non occurrence of backach. i am in sales job and hav to travel a lot(driving) aroud 80 to 90 km daily.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for your health query.

It seems your extensive travelling is taking a toll on your back. You must have already known that by now. First you need to assess the severity of the situation. Get an MRI done if not done already. That will give us a fair idea of the location and severity of slipped disc and the possible outcome. Then accordingly a plan can be formulated in terms of treatment with conservative or operative intervention.

Conservative methods can be applied in early reversible stages which are in form of medications, lifestyle modifications and physiotherapy wiz traction, local ultrasonics, braces(belts) and exercises. These works as long as the inciting factors are no longer acting.

If the compression on nerves exiting your spinal cord and cord itself are severe and failing to respond to conservative approach, a decompression surgery is required. These days its done in form of microsurgery and minimal invasive endoscopy.

Meanwhile, you may do 'back strengthening exercises', unfortunately those are difficult to explain in words and beyond the scope of this answer. But that you can learn from your physiotherapist or from images on internet. These exercises are the only long term insurance you have from similar attacks in future, and dont forget they have their limitations. Things you should avoid are long distance travelling, sitting in a particular position for long time(do regular stretching in hourly intervals), avoid forward bending and lifting heavy objects, and foremost do not self medicate.

I hope this answer was informative. For any further questions I'm available for follow up.