FBS is 149 and PP 210. Feeling hungry when sugar level goes down. Will this damage the organs?

My FBS is 149 and PP 210 . I feel normal . Whenever my sugar level goes below 130 or 120 ,Ifeel hunger sensation . What are interpretation > Whether such level can damage Organs?
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 39 minutes later

Thanks for your question.

As you are a diabetic patient, the brain region which control hunger and satiety (ventromedial hypothalamus and lateral hypothalamus) are tuned to high sugar levels when compared to normal individual. So when the sugar value falls below this set point it stimulates the hunger and satiety control centre (aforementioned region) to cause hunger. This set point is much lower in a normal individual.

Perhaps this could be the reason why you become hungry at 130/120mg/dl sugar. Your brain centres are tuned to higher blood sugar level.

But don't worry. Strict control of blood sugar in normal range 80-110 for 1-2 months lowers the set point of those region, so they not hungry any more. Discuss with your diabetologist for better sugar management.

As far as organ damage is concerned, do not worry. Organ damage occurs only when the sugar values are persistently below 20. However higher blood sugars like what is seen in you can have long term adverse effects on heart, brain and kidney. So consult your diabetologist at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any other queries, feel free to ask me.

Dr Sourav Ganguly