Eye soreness, light sensitivity, softened feeling of the eye ball, history of sty on the eyelid. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having eye soreness, light sensitivity and my eyeball feels softened. I have no loss of vision and no drainage. I had a sty on the eyelid a couple of months ago but it has gone away. Can you tell me what this could be?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 34 minutes later

Since when are you having this problem may I ask?
Is there redness and itching of the eyes as well?
Any fever, headache, nausea, vomiting?
Is it involving only one eye or both?
Kindly provide more information for me to be in a better position to help you.

There are various causes for this kind of clinical picture. Going with the history you provided it's possible you may have an infection.

It could have occurred due to possible transfer or infective organisms to the eye by an unclean hand or finger. You will need to avoid touching your eye with bare hand or finger. You may apply warm compress on the closed eye for relief from the soreness. You may take a pain killer if your Doctor permits, considering possible interactions with the medication that you are currently on.

You may gently use a clean cloth dipped in XXXXXXX warm water and gently clean any secretions, if they should develop which will also add to relief.

If it is a case of conjunctivitis it should resolve in a few days, but I highly advise that you get an Ophthalmologist's consult to thoroughly examine you and rule out other diagnosis before starting you on any kind of specific treatment.

Considering your medical history and medication you are on, it is evident that you are on treatment for conditions of the nervous, cardiovascular, psychiatric and dermatological systems. I do hope that you are in regular follow up with your Doctor(s) to make sure you are on effective treatment and are benefiting from it as well and are not suffering from any avoidable untoward effects of the treatment as well.

Eat healthy. Drink enough water. Avoid staring at computer screen for long hours. Do eyeball movement exercises to reduce strain. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Exercise daily. Remain stress free by proper exercise and try Yoga as well to help.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Eye soreness, light sensitivity, softened feeling of the eye ball, history of sty on the eyelid. Reason? 3 hours later
To answer your questions, I just noticed this week when my symptoms increased.
I have no redness or drainage from eye. It affects both eyes. I have no nausea or vomiting. I have had an increase in headaches. Do you have an idea of what could be wrong? Any diseases of the eye?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

It is possible that you may be suffering from refractive error or possibly dry eye due to strain and decreased blinking but I cannot be certain without examining you which is why I highly recommend that you see your Ophthalmologist and get a thorough exam before a diagnosis is reached.

Till then apply warm, wet compresses 3 to 6 times a day.

Since your vision is intact, there is no need to worry at the moment. Follow up with your Doctor and get the appropriate treatment for your condition.