Eye glass frames have caused allergic reaction at bridge of nose and around ears. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I have titanium eye glass frames that have caused an allergic reaction at the bridge, the nose pads and the plastic material around the ears. Any suggestions to neutralize those areas or recommend a hypoallergenic frame? The optician has already tried one type of silicone nose pads (reacted to it); and a rubber sleeve around the ear piece (still reacted to that choice also.)

Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Barrier creams & tape, hypoallergenic frames.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Contact dermatitis to spectacle frames are common due to the chemicals, plastics, solvents, glues, dyes, nickel, chromium and so on or those released by corrosion of the frames over time.

2. If you can avoid use for some time along with a barrier cream containing steroids (such as Betnovate GM), along with an anti-allergic tablet, it will help.

3. A nickel free, corrosion resistant hypoallergenic frame will be a good option. Pure titanium frame should ideally not cause any allergic reaction.

4. Sometimes, the pressure of the nose pads and ear supports, along with the tendency to eczema causes a swift reaction. Try small pieces of hypoallergenic adhesive dressing tapes such as Micropore to act asa barrier for some time.

5. There is no cure for this allergy. Avoiding the irritants is the best measure. Some control may be achieved by the measures outlined above.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.