Extensive rashes, red blotches irritating and discomforting. Taking codeine phosphate for osteoporosis pain. Have pulmonary fibrosis and hernia

Extensive rashes over the body which started Friday night. Red blotches. Very very irritating and discomforting. Ears, eyes, everywhere. Have been taking codeine phosphate for pain arising from osteoporosis, begun changing to 2 x30gr and 1x15gr for about 6 weeks. Have 8 daily paracetamol for a long time. Also suffer from pulmonary fibrosis, hiatus hernia and sjogren`s syndrome. Painful.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I am sorry to hear about these extensive and very itchy rash recently and your pains.

From the information you have provided, this sounds suggestive of an allergic reaction. The question now is to identify what the possible cause of these symptoms is.

A review of your medications does not really raises any suspicion of one of them as a possible cause. And more so, you have been taking this drug for weeks and have never reported these symptoms before.

I will advice that you look back into the day of Friday and see if there is anything new you were exposed to or that you used. This will help with identifying the culprit.

Treatment is centered around antihistamines. Try taking benadryl and you will get your symptoms controlled and they will resolve in the coming days. However, do not forget to try and identify what the possible cause could have been so as to prevent future recurrences.

I hope this addresses your query fully. Please, feel free to ask follow up questions for clarification. Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD