Experiencing vertigo, anxiety and panic attack. Have allergy and sinus headaches. What can be done?

I am an executive with j & j and was standing at my computer yesterday and experience vertigo...felt like I could nt breathe....during the last 24 hours I still feel vertigo and experience anxiety and what feels like waves of an almost panic attack...I have allergies and sinus headaches ( saw on line that they are related ) and I cant tell if its that or the stress of recently relocating from tx to pa and starting a high level job has jacked my anxiety levels thru the roof...I had anxiety attacks in the past when I was younger..I am 53 ..excellent health and a runner...drank camomile tea but can shake the anxiety in my stomach...I feels kinda scary
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 36 minutes later
Hi XXXXX! Thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

Firstly, congratulations on your new job! Your family must be so proud.

I completely understand how the sudden feeling of lightheadedness and difficulty of breathing can scare you especially with the recent changes and major developments in your life.

It does seem compatible with an anxiety attack but we still cannot rule out other diseases. Some of them are less probable but still worrisome so I would really like to rule them out first.

So that I will be able to understand and manage your case better, may I ask that you answer the following questions?
1) can you describe your vertigo? is it something like a spinning room or lightheadedness? (try as much as possible to use your own words)
2) what were you doing at your computer that day - preparing for a presentation, a major project? did you do an unusual physical activity a day or a few hours prior?
3) did you notice any other symptoms aside from vertigo and difficulty of breathing - chest pain/tightness/heaviness, sudden headache, tingling or changes in sensation in any part of the body, excessive sweating, blurring of vision, and others?
4) do you have any family history of heart disease or diabetes?
5) do you have any latest test results from executive checkups that returned abnormal or above normal?

Thank you and I will really appreciate it if you answer the above questions. Doing so will help us determine and manage your problem.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Dr. Galera