Experiencing upper back pain. Not on any medication. What should I do to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor,
I'm experiencing upper back pain from 2 weeks. I'm not taking any medication right now. I'm a regular gym goer.

Looks like my sitting posture was not right till now. I usually keep my chair a bit lower than the computer and also in a slanted position.

I have started doing back strengthening exercises from 2 days. Haven't noticed any change though. Is it helpful to cure the pain?

Please provide your suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 28 hours later

As you have noted correctly, your sitting posture might have been the reason of your pain. You must here onwards acquire an appropriate posture not only while working on a computer but also during gymming and other leisure activity. Stop your gym and the back strengthening exercises immediately, atleast for two weeks. You may gradually resume them as you feel symptomatically better.

If the pain does not subside by rest and mild medications, try going to a physiotherapist clinic near you for traction and local ultrasonics. If it persists even after 3 to 4 weeks, visit your orthopaedician for a check up and necessary investigations.

Strengthening exercises don't help subside the pain per se, but help prevent future relapses. So restart them only when pain is completely gone. Hope this answer was informative. For any further queries I'm available for follow up.