Experiencing symptoms of multiple sclerosis. MRI done. What are the findings?

I had an MRI done recently because I was experiencing symptoms similar to MS. The findings on the report indicate Solitary susceptibility focus is present within the right frontal subcortical white matter. Remaining brain & ventricles are unremarkable. No intra or extra-axial collection, mass lesion or hemorrhage. Intracranial vasculature demonstrates expected flow voids. Cervical junction within normal limits. Paranasel sinuses and mastoid air cells are clear. The conclusion read--Solitary right frontal suabcortical susceptibility and this may represent a microhemorrhage or less likely isolated cavarnome. Can you please explain the conclusion and perhaps the above notation. Thank you, Dianne
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 45 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern

Let me tell you that MRI findings should always be correlated with the clinical data. I would be very happy if you can provide the symptoms that you are experiencing for which this MRI was done. MRI data alone has no meaning and the treatment varies depending upon the clinical presentation. Further I request you to upload the MRI report. This will help me guide you better.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Experiencing symptoms of multiple sclerosis. MRI done. What are the findings? 17 minutes later
I cannot download the report.
The reason for study on head and neck was because I was experiencing MS symptoms very similar to what my late son had. He died after 13 mths from diagnosis at age 24 of Marburg Variant MS. My tingling started on the left arm and then progressed to numbness on the right side of my face and numbness of both feet. Also, bowel issues. Sharp pains recently started up. My first symptoms started beginning of October 2012. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 20 minutes later

Thanks for the feed back

I do not think that your symptoms can be explained by the MRI lesion that you have mentioned. Mostly the MRI lesion suggests a incidental cavernoma and you need not worry about it. However, clinical neurological examination is warranted before this conclusion. Without examination, and based upon the history, I suggest you to undergo the MRI of cervical spine. Problem in these areas of spinal cord can have similar symptoms.

MS generally presents with

Recurrent neurological symptoms characterized by sensory complaints the way you have mentioned ( but note that you do not have recurrent ones), imbalance while walking, weakness of legs/one side of the body, visual symptoms like sudden vision loss with pain. Your bowel symptoms may not be related to MS. You may consult a local gastroenterologist for the same.

I am sorry to note that you lost your son due to MS. I fully understand your concern.

Please feel free and let me know if I can be any help to you at any time.

I wish you a good health
Follow-up: Experiencing symptoms of multiple sclerosis. MRI done. What are the findings? 13 hours later
Thank you very much for your response and kind note regarding my son. However, what ponders me is the report doesn't mention the word lesion and yet I was wondering if the incidental cavernoma entails that. Do I have a lesion even though it identifies what I indicated above from the report? My understanding is if you have even 1 lesion-MS could be a possibility? Thanks again, Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 13 hours later
Thanks for the note

The MRI findings described suggest that there a possibility of cavernoma in the right side which does not account for your symptoms. MS generally will have multiple lesions. Further, the nature of this lesion described in the MRI is different than that of MS.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Experiencing symptoms of multiple sclerosis. MRI done. What are the findings? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor.
I will take today off and go to Emergency as I have been experiencing numbness and pain with my left foot(toes). I had pain with my right arm the last few days where I was unable to lift anything without having to use both arms.
Have a nice day and thanks for reassuring me re MS concern.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 46 hours later
Thanks for the feed back