Experiencing sore back and extreme pain in lower back. Is it safe to take robaxin?

I have experienced a sore back lately, but was getting through it. I bent over to pick up a remote and almost fell over from extreme back spasms. I've been in bed with extreme pain in lower back for 2 days...especially the right lower back. My daughter suggested Robaxin. I need to be able to move around. What can I do?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

Your symptoms are very likely to be due to a sore muscle after a sudden muscle sprain. And Robaxin is muscle relaxant and it can be tried in this case. Other approach would be to try oral pain killers first. You can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food every 6 hours for relief

Other things which can help are gentle massage, heat/ice application and physiotherapy. Heat will relax the muscle at first and ice may be helpful after the first spasm, when the pain has improved.

However, since you've been having intermittent pain on and off, please answer the following questions to help me assist you better:
a. Does the pain travel to your legs?
b. Do you have any tingling or weakness in the legs or feet?
c. Do you have any other symptoms like weight loss, loss of appetite or anything unusual that you may have noticed?
d. Do you normally keep your back straight while sitting or standing?
e. How long have you had this pain?
f. What do you do professionally?

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Experiencing sore back and extreme pain in lower back. Is it safe to take robaxin? 1 hour later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Yes, it's been going on for years. I just worry about being incapacited when the spasms start. I am a route delivery driver (bakery products) so I drive a truck and deliver products to stores. My posture is about average---could be improved. Yes, I've had pain come down the back of the right leg to the middle of the knee. I realize I probably have an ongoing chronic condition, I just wanted to know how to relieve it when it flares up and how to prevent this from happening. I have been bedridden for the last 3 days.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 hours later
Hi and thanks for answering the question.

This is most probably because of a pinched nerve or lower limb radiculopathy (sciatica) - pain travelling down the leg is typical of this.

Common cause is bulging intervertebral discs in the vertebral column that compress on the nerves as they come out of the spinal cord. Symptoms are experienced along the area of distribution/path of that particular nerve.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scab is desired investigation in such cases. The treatments vary from conservative to surgery.

Conservative treatments include anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy or chiropractic treatment, and avoiding activity that strains the neck or back. The majority of radiculopathy patients respond well to this conservative treatment, and symptoms often improve within six weeks to three months.

Though you want to treat this on your own, I think it's time to see specialist for this. I would suggest you to see a spine specialist, who will take into account severity of your symptoms and MRI findings to guide about the treatment.

Please ask if I have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts.