Experiencing sharp pain in back. Suspected for sacral joint problem. X-ray normal. Should I get an MRI?

I have had ongoing back problems for 9 years. I have had several "episodes" of throwing my back out. I've been to physical therapy and it does help. I've been told it's my sacral joint. I've had it xrayed a long time ago, which showed nothing. At what point should I get an MRI? Can they do an ultrasound to show what's wrong. It's a constant problem and it sucks. I am a military dependent and never have a consistent Dr. so it's like starting from scratch every time. I had to go to 3 dr.s to get sciatica diagnosed. (and i actually figured it out by googling shooting pain down the leg). The sciatica went away after physical therapy, but now when I walk sometimes my 2 middle toes go numb. I am feeling overwhelmed by the affect it has on my life. Can u give me more info about these kinds of back problems? Thanks!
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 5 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
From you history its looks like a lumbar spine problem with compression of sciatic nerve root. Sacral joint problem will cause a lower back ache mainly. Sacral joint problem will not cause radiating pain or numbness of toe. It is possibly due to compression of nerve root by herniation of intervertebral disc at lumbosacral region.
It is time to do MRI study of lumbar spine. I think it will rule out possible cause. If it comes normal then we can consider for MRI of sacral joint. Xrays will not be helpful in such condition.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.