Experiencing ringing in ear, dizziness and balancing problems. Hearing loss shown in test. Is it curable?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Yes, I have been experiencing Ringing in my ear, and dizziness, and balancing problems ,I went to ENT today, the doctor said that it wasn' t nothing to worry about after I had a hearing test, he said that my test showed that there was some hearing loss but, that was expected for someone in my age bracket. I am 67 yrs. old, but this is driving me crazy, he also said that there was no cure for ringing in the ear and to look up treatment for Tinnitus. "please help.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to degeneration of nerve endings Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The ringing in the ear, dizziness and balancing problems that you are having are likely to be due to damage to the nerve endings responsible for hearing due to aging and diabetes. The complete reversal of the degenerative change is not possible but we can retard the further progression of the problem with the help of lifestyle changes and use medicines for symptomatic relief. The treatment of vertigo involves using medications to suppress the impulse generation in the inner ear like cinnarizine or Betahistine. You can get these prescribed from your ENT specialist. Usually, its takes 2 - 4 weeks for vertigo to subside on medications. Meanwhile you can follow these suggestions: 1) Reduce caffeine and salt intake. 2) Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol caffeine. 3) Avoid using objects to clean your ears. 4) Take a Zinc supplementation once daily. 5) Do not take any medications as Aspirin as they can increase the ringing sound. 6) Eat fresh Pineapple in the diet as it reduces inflammation if any. You can also add Ginkgo Biloba supplements to your diet for relief. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.