Experiencing random pain in chest and started losing weight. Is this due to indigestion or anxiety?

25 year old male. I have lost some weight and have kind of plateaued out over the last couple of months but in the last couple of weeks i have been experiencing quick random chest pain. Today i was working out and i felt a sharp pain in the left side of my chest but i didn't stop working out and within thirty seconds it was gone. I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of days ago with a random heart beat that was out of sync or something but it returned to normal within a couple of moments. Now i am nervous and wondering if i need to see a caridologist or if its just indigestion or anxiety. I also have had a bit of gas and woke up the last two morning with heartburn and my working out heart rate was steady between 125-132. Any thoughts?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 23 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your symptoms do not suggest CAD. You are very young - too early for Coronary, too late for congenital heart disease!. You have not said of many characteristics of the pain – pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, relieved by rest, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on. However, it is better to have a Treadmill Exercise Electrocardiogram, ECHOcardiogram and Chest X-ray.

Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG).
If the episode occurs randomly or precipitated by a specific activity like exercise, one needs Holter or event monitor. Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco / Caffeine (too much coffee, cola) are common causes. Medicines may be responsible – like Phenylephrine ‘cold’ / Salbutamol, Salmeterol used for asthma and so on.
Illicit ‘drugs’ like Amphetamine are notorious to cause abnormal beats.      At times, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) are responsible!

It could be anxiety - but that ought to be an exclusion diagnosis.
See a Cardiologist / get examined and investigated - to exclude any problem.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Experiencing random pain in chest and started losing weight. Is this due to indigestion or anxiety? 17 hours later
Thanks Dr. Anantharamakrishnan
I talked with my mom this morning and she said that she has mitral valve prolapse and that it is a hereditary disease. Do you think that this could be a valid explanation of my symptoms? She stated she started getting symptoms at about 24-26 but it wasn't diagnosed until her thirties.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) is very common, especially in women.
It can easily be confirmed by an ECHOcardiogram.
It is often an incidental observation.
It can theoretically account for the symptoms - all the same, get yourself examined and investigated. / especially a Holter, for the arrhythmia...