Experiencing pain in lower abdomen before periods. Diagnosed with ovarian cyst. Any advice?

I have been experiencing acute/ severe pain in the lower left abdomen/ pelvis 10 days before my period starts, since Nov 2008. Till then have had no history of painful or irregular periods. 30 day cycle, regular, normal bleeding. Doc diagnosed ovarian dermoid cyst on left side and removed the cyst thro laparoscopy. pain still continues. later diagnosed fibroid but doc said it is of very tiny size to cause any symptom at all. married with one 2 year old. pain still continues, no clue why and what causes this pain. the pain stops just three to four days before my periods. Can you please tell me what could be the reason and should i really worry about it all? pain is just unbearable to the core, feel like dying sometimes, but after child birth pain intensity has reduced. please advise.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 56 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The pain abdomen seems to be related to ovulation and a lot of women get crampy abdominal pain at that time. Another thing that needs to be rule out is endometriosis which can cause severe pain in the lower abdomen.
I would like to know if a transvaginal ultrasound has been done for you and if yes, when. I would like to know the findings as well then.
The only way to get rid of this in either case is with a pain killer like mefenamic acid or another non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. In addition, warm compresses would help as well. If endometriosis is the detected cause, other treatment also needs to be instituted.
Please speak with your gynaecologist about this.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr Sourav Ganguly