Experiencing pain in left chest, arm. Patosec for gas worked. Why does it keep coming back?

I am experiencing pain towards the left side of my chest for some days now. It occurs, somewhere in the middle of the chest, inclined to the left. The pain reaches to an extent that I find it difficult to even move my arm, as it hurts my chest. I had guessed the cause to be gas, and had taken Patosec, upon advice of a local medic. The medicine works, immediately after I take it, but the pain is back on the next day. Starts especially in the afternoon and stays till I take another Pantosec.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 1 hour later

The nature of pain, left sided and also to back, relieved after taking Pantoprazole , suggests to the fact that it is more likely due to Acid peptic Disease .

Plan in this case should be
1. Get detailed clinical evaluation along with Upper GI Endoscopy. This is the test by which stomach is visualized for disease. We can also diagnose various other conditions and infections like H Pylori. In such a case Gastroenterologist will pursue further with treatment and follow up.
2. It is ideal to get basic cardiac screening tests like ECG and BP as well as clinical examination.
3. Most of the cases with acidity like complaints will need treatment of at least 3-6 months .
4. Even after taking treatment with pantoprazole for long term and following dietary instructions, if the pain at back or chest persists, also consider local muscular causes and in that case simple pain killers - analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs will benefit.
5. Dietician consultation and diet change s accordingly also help in the management of acid peptic disease.

Hope this helps to solve your query.

Please feel free to ask any query if you have regarding this.