Experiencing pain in knee and back. Feeling difficulty in walking. What can be done?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Yesterday, going down some stairs I experianced a pain in my left knee as I stepped down with my right leg.This was as the left leg swung out taking a step. Now, starting during during the night I get a escrusheating pain in the back & sides of the knee as I bend the knee or straighten it.. Once it's bent or straight the pain is almost gone. If I straighten it very slowly the pain is reduced. But going to stand up, bending the knee from 90 deg. to straight, the pain is so severe I almost pass out. Walking is painfull as weight is put on it, but nothing like discribed before. I am 58, 6'2" 240lbs, (over weight) non smoker & in generall good health, other than taking meds for high BP, Lipitor, prilosec, cymbalta. Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be muscle strain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The fact that your pain is occurring with movements of knee indicates a muscle strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines - * Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain * Ice packing once in every 2 hours over the affected area * Moist heat application to relax the muscles * Local application of muscle relaxant gel * Analgesic & muscle relaxants medications as needed I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Experiencing pain in knee and back. Feeling difficulty in walking. What can be done? 24 minutes later
Ok, So, eventhough I haven't recently lifted anything heavy or knowingly strained it, it could just be old age or something like that ?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Brief Answer: It cold occur due to ageing process. Detailed Answer: Hi, It could occur because of weak muscles and degenerative changes due to ageing process. Once the severity of pain decreases, Gradual and mild stretching activities of the knee are begun along with Moist heat fomentation of the painful area so as to increase the blood supply to the underlying muscles and also the relax them. Do regular knee exercises to strengthen muscles around knee to prevent further episodes of pain. Hope this will helps you. Warm Regards.