Experiencing memory loss and confusion. What to do?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been experiencing memory loss for years, but confusion the last couple months! I am 70 and know that some memory loss is expected, but the confusion has me concerned.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 36 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
slight confusion is to be expected too but if this came suddenly and is significant then it could indicate some brain disorders,mostly brain circulation or atrophy.
This is likely especially if there is associated dizziness,vision and hear disorder, headache or speech difficulty. Blood pressure variations may lead to decreased brain blood flow. Despite regulation of bp,you should take some b vitamin supplement for brain and nerve health.
so I don't think this is an emergency,but consult your doctor about performing brain mri for detailed evaluation. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Experiencing memory loss and confusion. What to do? 27 minutes later

I take 1 B12 1000, 4 fish oil and 1 baby aspirin a day.
I am not experiencing, dizziness, slurred speech, hearing problems or headaches.
My medications are Atenolol 50mg, Diovan 160mg, Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg, Vytorin 10, Omeprazole 40mg, Fluoxetine 20mg. All once a day. I started Diovan 2 months ago and am concerned about drug interactions.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
If you dont have other symptoms,this is good.
But you didnt mention Diovan in your medical history!(actually you didnt specifiy it), this can definitely be a reason for confusion as this is one of the most common side effect of Diovan. Diovan can also raise blood sugar and cause mental symptoms.
You take really many medicine,but interactions of all these should not be serious. Try to stop Diovan first and then see will there be improvement. If not, you should switch to another antidepressant. If this isnt helpful you need to do brain MRI.
I hope you ll feel better soon.WIsh you good health. Regards