Experiencing lower abdominal cramps during sex, light discharge following. Had urine infection. Related?

Oncologist, Surgical

Today I'm experiencing lower abdominal cramps and a light brown discharge following sex, it's been about 10 hours since I had sex and the cramps are still there.
In recent weeks I've experienced lower abdominal pain (feels like bruising) during sex in certain positions and spot bleeding (very light).
I've also had a urine infection for the last 2 months which I've been unable to shift. Could the two be connected or are they separate issues?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later
Dear ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. From your descriptions it is clear that you are suffering from urinary tract infection in addition to an element of pelvic inflammatory disease and most of the times they occur simultaneously. The cramps and the pain during sex you are experiencing are because of this condition and it requires treatment immediately before it becomes worse. You need to get your urine tested and this would tell us about the nature of the infection and the appropriate medicine.
In addition to this you need to consult a gynecologist for pelvic infection. Also avoiding sexual intercourse for a few days would be beneficial in reducing the symptoms. Hoping for the best.