Experiencing headache and pain in back during sex. Took advil. Looking for cure

Nov 2013

I am concerned with a headache I have experienced. The first incidence was during sex, an intense pain in the back of my neck to the top of my head came on suddenly. It went away in a few minutes after no OTC meds. Today I had a verbal altercation with someone and my neck and face became red and flushed and the same exact headache occured. After relaxing and taking Advil, it went away. My mother had a brain aneurism when she was in her 40s - close to my age now. I am worried that this may be a warning sign of something larger.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
Headaches are not uncommon after sex. This is referred to as post-coital headache. The mechanisms are similar to that of migraine- due to increased vascularity in the head and neck region.
The other possibility that you have mentioned is that of brain aneurysm.
In rare cases, headaches after sex could be because of small bleeding from the aneurysms.
If symptoms recur, you could get an MR angiogram of brain done to exclude the possibility of aneurysm (especially as you have a family history of the same).
I hope it clarifies. Please get back for any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist