Experiencing fluttering and pulsating sensation on head. Any ideas what may be causing it?

I have been experiencing a fluttering/ pulsating sensation on the left side of my head between my ear and my temple. It is intermittent. Any ideas what may be causing it?

I have also noticed that I have been grinding my teeth and clenching my door a lot in my sleep and it is moving into the day time when I am unfocused
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The fluttering/pulsating sensation is due to tachycardia ( increased heart rate) which can be due to dehydration, anxiety or maybe even an arrhythmia ( although the possibility of this remains remote).
I would suggest that you take 10 XXXXXXX breaths ( a XXXXXXX breath is one where the air reaches the bottom of your lungs, not makes your belly come out significantly) and drink plenty of fluids. This should help considerably.
As far as the grinding of the teeth is concerned, it can be due to a problem with anxiety, stress levels, diet, exercise or may be even a sleeping pattern
Try and minimize your stress levels by taking out some time for yourself, talking to people, XXXXXXX breathing and exercise. You should avoid a lot of caffeine, alcohol and smoking. Having a healthy and balanced diet and sleeping for 7-8 hours a day is essential to keep yourself healthy.
Hope this helps
Let me know if you have any more concerns.