Experiencing discomfort and pain in chest. Is this serious?

Hi, I have noticed I experience a dull ache/discomfort in the left side of my chest, just beneath my breast, when I am sitting down and slouched forward. The pain gradually becomes discomforting enough to the point to where I must change my sitting position, and then it goes away. Is this something serious? What is it? I am female, 46 years old, 5ft 2 and weigh 180 (yes I know that's too much). Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later

Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for posting your query.

From the nice description of pain you have given, it appears that your pain changes in intensity with the change in posture. It is more when you slouch forward and is disappears when you are sitting straight.
Such pains occur due to muscle-skeletal reasons. I would like to know

1) Whether you ever had any fall or trauma recently-howsoever trivial?
2) Does the pain increase on pressing the area with your hand (instead of slouching)
3) Does the area have any redness or increased temperature?
4) Any pain in the back?
5) Are you having any regurgitations or burning pain in the abdomen (acidity)?
6) How are your bowel movements?
7) Did you have any similar pain before?

I know the questions are too exhaustive, but the knowledge about them will surely help us in understanding you in a better way!

Hope you won't mind. Hope to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Experiencing discomfort and pain in chest. Is this serious? 19 hours later
Hi there.

In answer to your questions:

1) no injuries of other physical trauma to report

2) No extra pain if area is pressed

3) No redness or increased temperature in the area. It's inside.'

4) No pain in the back

5) No acidity

6) Normal

7) Pain has been going on about a month or so. No pain previously.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 13 minutes later
Thanks for your detailed follow-up.

From the description and replies given to my queries, it appears that you have some kind of muscular sprain over the anterior abdominal wall. It may occur without any trauma by some awkward posture or stretch.

It generally resolves within 3-4 weeks.

The fact that it is persisting for last 1 month warrants that you should get an Ultrasound Abdomen scan. Its a noninvasive procedure and has no side-effects and doesn't take much time also.
Colitis is one possibility of the kind of pain that you are describing.

We will be in a better position to comment in the pain after you get a USG scan of the abdomen done.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.

In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you a good health!