Experiencing cough, shortness of breath and vomiting. Chest x-ray done. Required treatment?

Psychiatrist
Question
hi...this is XXXXXXX from mumbai india...i am experiencing a violent cough from 15 days which comes 2,3 times a day & at that time i feel shortness of breath & somestimes i vommit also..went to a doctor & he told me it is a acid reflux disease..(i am taking antibiotics etc from 40 days as last month i got my wisdom tooth removed)..he changed my medicines & told me to have pantogyn-d & a analgesic anti acid syrup before meals....He also advised me to take a chest X XXXXXXX also,which i did...the x XXXXXXX report is normal but its mentioned that- MINIMAL Increased bronchovascular Markings in bilateral lung fields-SUGGESTIVE OF Bronchitis with congestion..which my dr said its normal & continue the above medicine...i am still getting violent cough 2,3 times....so kindly suggest
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query. On going through your history, i would be willing to agree with your physician's diagnosis of GERD. Minimal bronchitis does not manifest with these symptoms. In addition to the medication for GERD, i would suggest that you avoid spicy food and tea/coffee/carbonated drinks as they precipitate GERD. It is essential to eat at a slower pace than usual. You can consider an endoscopy to look for any associated peptic ulcer disease as well. Do clarify further if you need to.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Experiencing cough, shortness of breath and vomiting. Chest x-ray done. Required treatment? 8 minutes later
thanks...actually my doctor also told me about stomach ulcers...i am on medicines from last 40 days as in ist week of january i got my wisdom tooth removed,hence i was on antibiotics & painkillers till end of january & after that i had developed cough,throat infection & again i was on medicined ie-cough syrups,antiboitics & anti allergics etc...but now i get violent coughs 2,3 times & sometimes i vommit also..acc to chest xray & my doctor-he told that its acid reflix & it will get fine as i am on medicines now ie-pantogyn-d & a analgesic anti acid syrup
so..what you suggest now?

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 3 hours later
Hello.....
I agree with you that the symptoms started post-infection. Neverthless the symptoms still fit into GERD. I would not suggest treating it as a bronchial infection. The current management should work for you eventually.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Experiencing cough, shortness of breath and vomiting. Chest x-ray done. Required treatment? 14 minutes later
but my condition is not improving....still i cough 2,3 times & everytime i feel shortness of breath during that time & vommit occassionaly...one thing i should say-the duration of violent cough has gone down as i am taking new set of medicines from past 3 days...so according to you what should i do & which food items should i take?
and normally how much time it takes to completely get cured....????

thanks...

Hello.....
To tell you frankly GERD usually is not fully curable but we aim at symptom control only. Within another 2-3 weeks i would expect your problem to be under control. As i suggested avoid spicy food, tea, coffee and soft drinks. You can take everything else. Wish you speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar