Experiencing block nose, running nose, sneezing and frequent cold during winter. Is this common?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
I experience the below symptoms during time of winters/breezy in Bangalore:
Block nose
Running nose
sneezing
frequesnt Cold

Is it common or due to weak immune system?
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 15 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from seasonal allergic rhinitis with probably upper airway cough syndrome if cough is present intermittently.

2. You need to under go investigations: chest xray, pulmonary function test and serum IgE levels along with evaluation by a pulmonologist.

3. The condition is not uncommon and is especially presented with symptoms in winter and rainy months.

4. It is not due to weak immune system but is due to atopy (allergic immune response).

5. You need to take the inhaler as prescribed and also oral preventive medications and nasal sprays may be initiated.

6. You can also take annual flu vaccination to prevent secondary infections leading to symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Experiencing block nose, running nose, sneezing and frequent cold during winter. Is this common? 3 days later
Thanks for your response Doctor.

Let me correct one of my earlier info. Apologies.

Nasal spray was used to mitigate the risk of asthma owing to euosinophil count more than normal - when i was 10-12 yrs old

Then the nasal spray was discontinued and i never went to Doctor or had any diagnosis on my allergic symptoms, as i was more vulnerable back in childhood days.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 9 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query. It's nice that you are sharing this piece of information.

The information substantiates the diagnosis of seasonal allergic rhinitis.
You need to get yourself evaluated as advised in the previous post.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB