Experiencing black streaks in sputum sometime after cigarette. Have cough, cold, chest pain and fever

i am an mbbs student a smoker from 5 years
from 3 months i am experienzing black streaks in my sputum sometime after i have a ciggratte
from 5 days i am having cough and cold and from 2 days i am nt smoking now also i m getting black phelgm never red and more after bronchodilators .
a dry cough chest pain and mild fever
i am having anti inflamattory and anti biotic ..
should i be worried .
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The black streaks in our sputum is nothing but anthracotic pigment. This is a result of carbonaceous material in the dirty air that we breath in. It is more pronounced in smokers and since you have been a smoker for > than 5 years, it`s a natural phenomonon.

Your cough and cold will soon be alright with the medicines you are taking but there is a strong possibility that you may develop many diseases that are associated with smoking esp COPD. Smoking is also associated with various cancers commonest being lung cancer. You are a medical student yourself and can read in detail about the adverse effects of smoking. Hence it`s high time you completely quit smoking.
Follow-up: Experiencing black streaks in sputum sometime after cigarette. Have cough, cold, chest pain and fever 33 hours later
DR XXXXXXX RAWAT this side as i told you abt my problem earlier
actually i got an xray done at my hospital today ,it was almost normal a lil bit broncho vascular prominency .
syp.pheniramine 1tsp bd
problem is that i was experienzing the black pigment in my sputum from quite some time now .and along with irritation just at the back of my throat ..and mostly minutes after smoking ciggratte but as now i have stopped smoking completely for once and all .I WANT TO GET RID OF THIS BLACK SPUTUM ANYHOW .
please suggest any medication or any other advice .
i am working with MEDANTA these days but not able to discuss with my seniors .HELP !
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 8 hours later

Point wise reply to your queries is as follows:

1. Prominent bronchovascular markings is a common finding in smokers and in chr bronchitis. Complete your course of antibiotics.

2. Irritation at the back of the throat could be a result of smoker`s cough and it will subside gradually as you have stopped smoking now.

3. As i have already mentioned, black sputum is a finding in normal people also esp if they are breathing polluted air as seen in Delhi and NCR because of traffic smoke and industrial smoke. It is more so in smokers. There is no immediate cause to worry about it. It`s a good thing that you have stopped smoking and you should adhere to it. There is nothing more that needs to be done at present. Try and avoid polluted air as much as you can, do some deep breathing exercises and physical exercise.