Experiencing adult ADHD, inability to collect thoughts, finish tasks. Medication for moderate ADHD recommended?

Hi, I am inquiring about Adult ADHD/ADD. I'm a 28 yr old male. I've looked up symptoms and believe I do experience many of them. For example I find it difficult to collect my thoughts and/or finish tasks. I don't believe my case is as bad as some but I do believe it prevents me from reaching my full potential in a professional environment. What are the benefits of medications as well as the cons? Is medication usually prescribed for mild/moderate ADHD?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 3 hours later

ADD/ADHD in adults is seen with the following symptoms:
1. Trouble concentrating and staying focused
2. Disorganization and forgetfulness
3. Impulsivity
4. Emotional difficulties
5. Hyperactivity or restlessness

Untreated ADD/ADHD can lead to physical problems like compulsive eating (obesity), substance abuse, chronic stress, tensions, anxiety and depression. It can lead to difficulty in career growth and a feeling of underachievement. It can cause strain in relationships as well.

Coming to your query, I gather that you have difficulty in collecting your thoughts and/or finish tasks. I would like to know how long has this been? Do you have any other symptoms that I have mentioned above? Are you going through a stressful period in your life?

Medications can be prescribed and would be of use only if the disorder has been diagnosed in an individual. My suggestion would be for you to seek help from a Psychiatrist who would first help in diagnosis and then in treatment of the condition.

Besides medications psychotherapy has a definite role to play in the management of ADD/ADHD.

Please seek the help of your Psychiatrist for the same.

Hope I have answered your queries. Do reach out to me if you have any more questions.

Dr Gowri