Experienced urgency and frequency. Tried Flomax without improvement. Recommended prostate be paired down to smaller size. Suggest?

I am a 65 year old male that has experienced urgency and frequency for aprox the past 8 years. My brother who is 68 also has the same symptoms. I have tried Flomax etc etc without improvement . My urologist recommended that my prostate be paired down to a much smaller size ( this was after those highly intrusive exams ) My problem was mostly at night......I would wake up every two hours.Two years ago the Urologist paired down the size of the prostate with the lazar approach. Since then my frequency is every 60 min at night and perhaps every two hours during the day time.My urgency has also increased.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
PLease, get re-evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this frequency. It can be so disturbing to have to go to the bath room this often both during the day and at night. I hope we get to identify the real problem and propose solutions to this.

Please, urgency and frequency can have several different causes. The cause of this could be from the bladder,te prostate, surrounding structures, neurological etc. From the information you have provided, I think you have been adequately investigated and treated for all possible prostate pathologies as a possible cause and yet the results are not getting better.

Looking at the bladder, if it becomes easily irritable or the volume is reduced in size by any disease, it will easily initiate the urination reflex leading to frequent urination in very small amounts. If you urinate several times in small volumes, then the bladder should be a prime suspect. Pathologies like interstitial cystitis, bladder cancer, chronic cystitis, over reactive bladder, or inflammation of nearby structures may be responsible for this.

My honest advice is that your doctor should look beyond the prostate as the only possible cause of this urgency and address bladder and neurological causes as possibilities. This would be helpful. More so, I am confident your prostate was not the cause of your symptoms else it would have gotten better with treatment.

I hope this helps and provides some more guidance on how to approach this problem. I wish you well and feel free to ask follow up related questions for clarifications if need be.
Dr. Ditah., MD