Experienced dizziness, headaches and ringing ears. Found blood in semen. What am I suffering from?

Psychiatrist
Question
I`ve experienced dizziness, headaches and ringing in my ears for 5 weeks. I’ve been to the chiropractor and my family doctor. My doctor did the test for crystals loose in the inner ear and it came out negative. He also checked my balance and neurological issues. They came out ok.My blood work came out ok.I`ve had chiropractic cranial sacral, acupuncture, massage, NMT, and taken Meclizine for 10 days. I’ve even tried clear ear wax out of my right ear. The symptoms come and go but never go away fully. They can be triggered or made worse by body work, caring my 2 year old, moving my head, and car rides. They seem to be worse while laying on my right side. Sometimes I can keep them from coming on by moving my body and just my will.Anxienty can come on and confuse my symtoms.My head aches are in the front sides and back. With headaches my ears hurt sometimes and don’t like laud noises and have eyes strain. I have a sense of it starting in the right occiput. I`ve experienced dizziness, headaches and ringing in my ears for 5 weeks. I’ve been to the chiropractor and my family doctor. My doctor did the test for crystals loose in the inner ear and it came out negative. He also checked my balance and neurological issues. They came out ok.My blood work came out ok and no infections in my ears.I`ve had chiropractic cranial sacral, acupuncture, massage, NMT, and taken Meclizine for 10 days. I’ve even tried clear ear wax out of my right ear. The symptoms come and go but never go away fully. They can be triggered or made worse by body work, caring my 2 year old, moving my head, and car rides. They seem to be worse while laying on my right side. Sometimes I can keep them from coming on by moving my body and just my will.Anxienty can come on and confuse my symtoms.My head aches are in the front sides and back. With headaches my ears hurt sometimes and don’t like laud noises and have eyes strain. I have a sense of it starting in the right occiput.
I do have a problem with anxiety. I have experienced the room spinning but only a few times. The room spins counter clock wise.
I have had blood in my semen the week before this started and on and off sense.
The dizzy started in my sleep the morning the day after carrying my child in the woods.
I am a massage therapist 48 years old and in good health.
I
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

As your investigations are normal, which rule out possibility of physical illness. From your description and normal investigations report we should suspect presence of anxiety disorder.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Anxiety disorder: need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use (stop use if present)
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done
•     Neurological problem: may require MRI brain, if above problems are ruled out.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, dizziness, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. Apart from that take appropriate steps under physician supervision for other differential diagnosis, as mentioned above.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal