Excessive sweating, burning, itchy sores in vagina. What could be the reason?

Hi i work at a nursing home and i sweat alot. I noticed my vagina was burning and itching from me sweating so when i got home i took a shower. About 3 days ago i noticed where i was itching im raw and have sores there i am married and have not cheated or been with anyone but him in 3 years what do you think it is?
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurred after the prolonged sweating in the area or the second possibility is of an infection that can be caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.

From the symptoms it looks like the friction rub or chafing. The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.
5) Keep the area dry and you can apply neosporin and clotrimazole powder after cleaning and drying the area.
In case the sores are persistent then a direct examination is needed for proper diagnosis and specific management.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.