Ask a Dentist   »  

Excessive saliva, problems with speech, no pain, sometimes tired when I should not be

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have excessive saliva (though it seems this is called "dry mouth" and some problem with speech. I have no pains and I feel good except maybe a little tired when I should not be.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
As we age, there are many aspects of our health that must be attended to more closely than other. One such common health complication develops with age, known as sialorrhea or an over production of saliva.
While some excessive saliva production is common with age, as the facial muscles and nerves begin to degenerate, if that production of excessive saliva continues, there may be complications involving infection and skin irritation,bad breath, speech impairment .
In your case you might have a facial neurological impairment as a result of which the excess saliva and speech disturbance can occur.
It's best to consult your physician for confirmation of the diagnosis .
As for symptomatic relief your physician may recommend the use of prescription medications ( like glycopyrrolate) designed to slow the impact and production of the salivary glands. However, with a significant number of side effects, these prescriptions medications are becoming less popular.
The next option is to consider speech or occupational therapy as a way in which to improve your facial muscle strength and function. In addition to speech and occupational therapy, a visit with a dentist or orthodontist may provide some insight into corrections with malocclusion that can be considered as part of your care. For many patients , the use of orthodontic appliances is quite effective at alleviating the complications of sialorrhea.
So it's best to first get a thorough evaluation by your physician who can confirm the diagnosis and plan management accordingly.He can also make appropriate referrals as mentioned above , if need arises.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.