Excessive coating on tongue that looks like patch. No improvement with condex z. Help?

I am quite worried about how my tongue looks, It has too much coating always except at the front right where it is smooth and it looks like a patch. I started on condex z last week but not showing much difference.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

It is not always bad to have coated tongue. What is the color of the coat? The coating can be because of different reasons like infection, improper oral hygiene, diseases of the oral cavity.

Do you scrap the tongue daily while brushing in the morning? Is the coating remain?

Can you take a picture and upload it from the upload feature on the right side corner of the page.
Follow-up: Excessive coating on tongue that looks like patch. No improvement with condex z. Help? 22 minutes later
Dr Mazumdar, many thanks for the reply and query.

1. I try to keep teeth and tongue as clean as possible. I have sensitive teeth so in the nights, instead of brushing, I use a mouthwash (Listerine) and a tounge cleaner.
2. Even after scraping, my tongue never really looks uniformly clean pink. Deep grooves, patches, coating always there. Most worried about non-uniformity of the coating.
3. Usually coating takes the color of the food i have had. White on say curds, brownish on coffee/daal.
4. Sometimes, a week long consumption of tender coconut water or lemon seem to improve texture!
5. i meant to say I started on Cobadex Z for vit B12 since a week.

Many thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 53 minutes later

You seem to have no trouble with the tongue except for the cosmetic look. The patch of island on the tongue is just a normal variant, the tongue has lot of crypts and glands on it. They secrete the coating and it takes the color of food. If it is thin then it is not a disease.

Second thing I noticed is the use of Listerine. It has chemical and that reacts with the mucus and settle as coating. You can choose a natural mouth wash. Like Vinegar plus garlic cloves etc.

You had witnessed by yourself that coconut water and lemon improved. they are natural vitamins and minerals. You should keep having them. Medications coat the tongue. Please do not use unless recommended.

Hope this helps.