Excess mucus production in throat, coughing, inflammation of inner eye. Have abnormality in sinus

ENT Specialist
i have had excess mucus production in my throat causing a cough, i also get inflamation of the inner eye particularly on one side , i have had this for the last 10 years . i should also mention, i have always had an abnormality in my sinuses as one opening in my nose is much wider than the opposite
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through the history, I am of the opinion that you could be suffering from both sinusitis and acid reflux disease. A detailed examination is required to find the exact cause of this problem.

The sensation of pressure inside the head, pain around the eyes and cough are all related to sinusitis. I presume that you might be having anatomical nasal block, which is causing negative pressure behind the obstruction and hence the symptoms.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly referred to as GERD or acid reflux, is a condition in which the liquid content of the stomach backs up or refluxes into the esophagus and the throat. The liquid that enters the esophagus (regurgitation) and the throat can damage the lining of the former and the latter although visible signs of inflammation occur in a minority of patients. The regurgitated liquid usually contains acid that is produced by the stomach. This induces inflammation of the mucosa thus irritating the throat and producing the cough. Also, there is an excessive secretion produced by the glands in the throat trying to soothe the inflammation.

My advice to you is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the headache.
3. Avoid coffee/chilled/hot beverages/alcohol/smoking if any.
4. Try taking mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus.
5. Proton pump inhibitors (Esomeprazole or Pantoperazole) can be tried which will help in reducing the production of the acid in the stomach.

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Excess mucus production in throat, coughing, inflammation of inner eye. Have abnormality in sinus 3 hours later
in the head i have no sensation of pressure. wouldnt i be consciously aware of an acid reflux event?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later

Welcome back
1.     In my previous review, I had mentioned about the salient features of sinusitis and GERD. It is not necessary that one has to have all the symptoms to make a diagnosis. Nasal block on one side with pain over the nasal side of the eye, cough and excess mucus production could be the features of ethmoidal sinusitis.

2.     Likewise GERD can present with a silent laryngo-pharyngeal reflux wherein the patients would have never perceived about the acidity problems before. But certain features are very typical of the reflux such as excess mucus in the throat, dryness of the throat, dry cough, dry throat, etc.

3.     Without a complete examination of the throat and the nose it is very difficult to pin point the exact cause as most of the features of both of the above conditions overlap.

Hope this clears your doubts! I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon