Erectile dysfunction, trying for baby, not able to get erection. Can I take medicines like Viagra to help me?

Question
Hi Doc,
I am a 34 year old male. Overall my health has been healty and in the normal health check ups no major illness/precuation has been reported earlier.
From January onwards, I have been facing a erectile dysfunction problem where I dont get erect at all while trying to make love to my wife.
It has also been since January that We have been wanting to try for a baby. So i thought that when it happened in January for 3-4 times during the act that it must be the pressure and we stayed away for some time and tried again. But now for three months for around 12-15 times I have not been able to get a proper erection. We have been able to do this only once during the last 4 months.
We have tried different positions taken a holiday and tried it then but it has still not worked out.

Would request your help with a diagnosis of the problem. Can i take some medicines which can help me with this problem maybe a Viagra or something?

regard
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 56 minutes later

An erection problem is the inability to get or maintain an erection that is firm enough for a man to have intercourse. If the condition persists, the medical term is erectile dysfunction.

Before deciding the treatment it is important to find out the cause which may be responsible for erectile dysfunction in your case. In most men of your age, the cause is often psychological. Other medical causes may be smoking, alcohol consumption, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, low testosterone, depression, spinal cord and neurological causes.

To exactly pinpoint a diagnosis you need to get a complete examination done from a urologist and get your blood pressure, blood sugar levels, thyroid hormones, testosterone levels and a neurological examination of the testicles and penis done.

Sildenafil (Viagra)is the drug of choice for erectile dysfunction. However it is available only on a doctor's prescription who will also assess the type and cause of erectile dysfunction before prescribing any drug.

Till the time you get these tests done, try to talk to your partner openly about any fears or apprehensions, eat nutritious healthy food, exercise regularly and cut down on smoking or alcohol if there is any history of intake of these substances.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.