Episode of passing out. Often feel dizzy and light headed when active. Tests show low bpm. Serious?

I recently passed out while standing up quickly. I went to emerg and checked out ok.
My heart rate is 55 at 130/84. I often feel light heady and dizzy and feel much better when I am active.
I am 52 years of age. Should I be concerned with the below average bpm?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see. They have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear...
     Normal heart rate ranges between 60 and 100. Below 60, it is called Bradycardia...this too can be normal at times, especially in athletes... This should be investigated when there are symptoms (giddiness)...
     Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect changes occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly or further analysis, one needs Holter or event monitor.
     ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance... You may even need Electro Physiological Studies (EPS)
     The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.
     If there are no clues, you have to be followed up by a neurologist.
     See your doctor

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck