Entire family has diabetes. Chances of me acquiring it?

My entire family has diabetes. Will I become diabetic patient in future?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Diabetes tends to run in families. A person with a family history of diabetes is 2-4 times as likely to develop diabetes as someone without a family history. If your entire family has diabetes, there are increased chances of you developing diabetes.

However along with that, there are other risk factors as well which include obesity, inactivity, lifestyle, race (blacks, Hispanics, American Indians and Asians are at higher risk), increasing age, high blood pressure and abnormal cholesterol levels (high LDL and triglycerides and low HDL).

You should get an HbA1C test done. The hemoglobin A1C test is a simple blood test that reflects the average blood sugar for the past 3 to 4 months. It can be used to diagnose prediabetes or diabetes.

Try the following lifestyle measures to avoid developing diabetes:
1)     Try to lose some weight.
2)     Moderate exercise for 30 minutes a day, such as cycling, swimming, or brisk walking, helps prevent diabetes.
3)     Healthy meals that mix a balance of low-fat protein, vegetables, and whole grains can help prevent prediabetes from becoming diabetes. Calorie control, portion sizes (no super-sizing), and low-sugar, low-carbohydrate diet should be eaten.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.