Enterococcus Faecillis bacteria, semen culture, pain in penis tip, fatigue. Treatment ?

Urologist
Question
Age 38, Height 181 cm, Weight 86 kgs

Enterococcus Faecillis bacteria were detected in my semen culture.I have been prescribed a course of Nitrofurantoin (3x 7 days) plus (1x2 weeks).
I feel pain and burning at the tip of the penis,pain in the pelvic area and down the legs.Lot of discomfort and feeling of fatigue. I have heard that this bacteria is very difficult to get rid of especially in the prostate as antibiotics don't reach there.Pls advise duration of treatment and any other precautions for recovery.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query

Eradicating any bacteria grown on culture media taken from semen sample is difficult.

Nitrofurantoin has very kittle penetration into the semen. It may not be very helpful in this case. A better choice of antibiotic can be suggested based on the culture and sensitivity reports.

Kindly send your culture and sensitivity report, so that I can give more informative answers.
You can send the scanned reports to my attention at YYYY@YYYY

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Enterococcus Faecillis bacteria, semen culture, pain in penis tip, fatigue. Treatment ? 26 hours later
Additionally I am also taking following medicines

1. Cranpac Twice daily
2. Evion 400 1 tablet every alternate day
3. Alfuzosin Hydrochloride extended release 1 tablet daily

A few days back my wife took me to a doctor for 2nd opinion.He had a very rude personality and did a rectal checkup for the prostate gland.However he did not even give me a chance to clean up the discharged fluids around the penis and I could only wash the area after 2 hours.Since then I have notice 2-3 blisters on the penis although no discharge of any kind.Have started washing with potassium permanganate.

What could be the cause for the above??
Is the ailment chronic bacterial prostatitis ??Is it curable??

Follow-up: Enterococcus Faecillis bacteria, semen culture, pain in penis tip, fatigue. Treatment ? 1 minute later
Dear Doctor,

My semen culture and sensitivity report is as follows

SHOWS GROWTH OF ENTERROCOCCUS FAECALIS

AMPICILIN RESISTANT(<=2)
BENZYLPENICILLIN RESISTANT(4)
IMIPENEM RESISTANT
NITROFURANTOIN SENSITIVE(<=16)
TETRACYCLIN RESISTANT(>=16)
CIPROFLOXACIN RESISTANT(>=8)
LEVOFLOXACIN RESISTANT(>=8)
ERYTHROMYCIN RESISTANT(>=8)
LINEZOLID SENSITIVE(2)
VANCOMYCIN SENSITIVE(1)
DALFORPRISTIN/QUINOPRISTIN RESISTANT(4)
TIGECYCLINE SENSITIVE(<=0.12)

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 40 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Possibility of you having prostatitis is minimal. You can actually stop evion , and have to be put on antibiotics like Linezolid.

Also do get the blisters on the penis examined by your treating doctor.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Enterococcus Faecillis bacteria, semen culture, pain in penis tip, fatigue. Treatment ? 13 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for your response.
Kindly advise why possibility of me having prostatitis is minimal?What else could this be??
I have had these symptoms for a month and have taken various antibiotics before the present course of NFT.Additionally have also started taking homeopathic treatment.However do not feel any relief as yet.
1.Is it possible to totally eradicate this bacteria from the semen and get well.
2.How is this going to affect sexual relations with my wife?what precautions should we take?
3.What sort of time frame am I looking at for recovery??I think a lot about this disease and it sort of depresses me.
4. How often should I get my semen culture done for follow up?
5.Any other advice for speedy and effective recovery????

Doc, your detailed responses to the above queries will be highly appreciated so as to put me at ease.

Best regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Let me answer your queries accordingly.

1. It is possible but mostly depends upon the sensitivity of the bacteria to the drugs.
2. You need to avoid sexual relationship atleast for 2 weeks and then you can have it normally.
3. You need to continue antibiotics according to the culture and sensitivity for atleast 4 weeks and get a repeat culture after 4 weeks.
4. As mentioned earlier you need to repeat the test after 4 weeks.
5. Maintain good health, follow the prescribed treatment regularly and hygienic measures. This should lead you to early recovery.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.