Enlarged uvula, had sore throat, consumed alcohol & smoking

ENT Specialist
After a long night of drinking and cigar smokes I woke up with sore throat and enlarged uvula. My throat is fine now after 2 days but the Uvula remains enlarged (long)...will this also subside in your opinion?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

The swelling in the throat following smoking and drinking is due to mucositis. This usually subsides once the trigger factor is withdrawn.

Following consumption of liquor, the mucosa (the lining of the inner part of the mouth) of the oral cavity gets irritated, because of which there will be spasm of the blood vessels supplying the mucosa. Once there is reduction of the blood supply to the mucosa, then the mediators of inflammation get retained inside the mucosa inciting the damage.

If this is accompanied with smoking, it will further damage the already inflamed mucosa of the oral cavity thus resisting the reparatory process and causing swelling of the mucosa, dryness and irritation in the throat.

The swelling on the uvula is the last one to subside always and it takes few days to few weeks to heal.

Meanwhile, you need to drink plenty of warm water to prevent dehydration, avoid smoking and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables (this will improve the nutrition and helps in healing faster). If the inflammation does not subside within few weeks you can try taking a short course of oral steroids after consulting your ENT specialist.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Enlarged uvula, had sore throat, consumed alcohol & smoking 45 hours later
The Uvila swelling is going down...I notice a white spot on tip..almost like a small pocket of white this part of the healing?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the pus pointing is a stage of healing, wherein the inflammatory process is coming to an end with collection of all the dead cells and bacteria (pus) encircled by the inflammatory mediators. This process leads to discarding of the pus from the normal tissue, which gets accumulated at one point and it is usually at the most dependent part.

Henceforth, be cautious, drink plenty of water to keep the mucosa hydrated and reduce smoking.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon