Enlarged lymph nodes in groin. Had an ultrasound. Is it cancerous?

Psychiatrist
Question
i Have three enlarged Lymph nodes in my groin not painful in my left Inguinal region, all are well defined, of Homogenous echopattern, with preserved their Hilum, no breaking down no calcification could be detected, no abnormal vascularity noted, they measure 1.2 x .65, 1.1 x .44, & 1.19 x .55 cm in their demensions respectively, no other focal cystic or solid lesions could be detected, intact femoral vessels, normal overlying skin and subcutaneous tissue, no collection noted, thats what my altrasound said i am male and have no other symptoms, and no pain should i worry.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No need to worry Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Lymph nodes in the groin area have a wide area of drainage and very trivial causes like small abrasion over the foot can also lead them to be active and get enlarged. Your USG findings stating them to be homogenous with no cysting and surrounding area to be free of inflammation suggests that it is not anything to worry about. The sizes of the lymphnodes are also not very big. You should only keep observing them over a period of time. If they persists beyond 2 months then they may need to be investigated. The investigation of choice at that time would be FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Enlarged lymph nodes in groin. Had an ultrasound. Is it cancerous? 11 minutes later
Dr i have had it for 5 months now what are the chances it is cancerouse The size has not changed at all from what i can tell and, the altrasound was done on Sept-16-13, should i worry. i have a medical exam on Dec-24-13 where another altrasound will be done and i will request a FNAC. on the Opinion part the doctor Wrote, Left inguinal Lymphadenopathy mosty inflamatory for clinical Correlation what does that mean.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: 5 months is a long time Detailed Answer: Hello Sorry I misjudged the duration. Yes 5 months is a long time for the lymph nodes to be enlarged if it is due to only infection. However your USG findings suggest that the lesion are not cancerous as if it was cancerous then there had to be involvement of surrounding tissue as well. You should still insist for FANC test of your lymphnodes. Tuberculosis could be responsible for such long standing benign lymph nodes. There is nothing to panic, but yes it needs to be investigated. Hope that helps, Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Enlarged lymph nodes in groin. Had an ultrasound. Is it cancerous? 12 minutes later
Is tuberculosis curable? and what does Left inguinal Lymphadenopathy mosty inflamatory for clinical Correlation what does that mean. Also i had full blood work done and a TBT test done all on the same day. all came back fine. Is there any chance that it can just be filled with fluids and no seriouse issue, i guess what i am asking do they ever get that way for no reson or is there always a reason.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 hours later
Brief Answer: yes they can be there without any reason Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up query. I can understand your concerns. Some times there is a lymphadenopathy withoit any reason. Then it is known as ideopathic lymphadenopathy. In india we see plenty of them. It may not be fluid filled as the usg might have shown so, if at all it was so. Go ahead with the FNAC as that will answer most of your queries. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy