Enlarged lymph node under jawbone, no tenderness. Should there not be tenderness in case of infection?

ENT Specialist
I have some symptoms of allergies as well as an enlarged lymph node/gland under jaw bone on one side concern, there is no tenderness to the swelling. I have had cancer and have been told to be vigilant with self exams....shouldn't there be some tenderness or pain if there is an infection or inflammation or can you have this enlargement painless?
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 56 minutes later
Dear AAA
Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma, a head and neck surgeon.
On the basis of information provided it appears that you have a single painless node under the jaw bone. You also have a history of cancer (Breast cancer).

I would suggest you to take this node seriously and get an Fine needle aspiration biopsy done. This will tell us about the nature of disease in gland/lymph node. In case fine needle aspiration cytology is inconclusive, it is appropriate to undergo excision biopsy.

Painful node is common in infection while a painless lymph node or swelling is more commonly associated with cancer or some chronic disease. If you have history of cancer it further raises the index of suspicion for cancer (recurrence or residual). Please plan for your consultation as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your concern . Feel free to contact me if you have any more concerns about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma