Enlarged liver, drinking alcohol daily. Frequent consumption of paracetamol and zantac. How will the enlarged liver come to normal?

Excellent

Question
Hello Doctor, I had gone for a pre-employment physical examination today and doctor said that my lever has enlarged. I have been drinking hard alcohol (minimum 120ml more but not less ) for past 1 month almost daily due to some personal issues.. before that i used to have it just twice a week. I dont feel any pain as such, but just the doctor felt it by his hands that the liver is enlarged. If I hadnt gone for the test I would nt have even noticed this. But Im bit concerned now.

My query is if 1. I stop drinking alcohol how many days will it take for the liver to come to normal size? 2. What are the other measures tht can be taken and 3. Hope nothing is serious. Please help.

Im 31 yrs Male, 67 kg weight, 5'4" ft. (164 cms) height. I Eat more of fatty and sweet food, I eat non veg frequently like eggs, chicken, mutton. Also, last time in one of my blood tests cholesterol level was a bit above normal. Pls let me know if this can be the cause.

Also one more important point, I frequently take paracetamol after drinking to avoid headache and even Zantac/Omez for acidity.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Enlargement of liver is a nonspecific sign. Common causes are infections, excessive use of alcohol neoplasm, metabolic, and drugs/Toxins etc. As there is no symptom associated with your enlarged Liver, and you are consuming alcohol (>120ml) daily and taking drug Paracetamol too, enlargement of Liver in your case can be due to Alcoholic Fatty Liver disease. This is a condition when there is excessive deposition of fat in the liver. However, we would need additional tests like a liver function test ( which includes a serum bilirubin, AST and ALT levels) and ultrasound of the abdomen to evaluate the extent of the damage.

(1) The number of days it will take for liver to come to normal size depends upon severity of disease. If there is no complication & enlargement of liver is due to fatty liver disease, it is reversible, but exactly how much time it will take can not be told. We would need the above mentioned tests to determine the extent of the damage.
(2) You should take light diets and lose weight. Avoid fat, alcohol, paracetamol. A high protein diet with lots of simple sugars like those found in juice, fruits and white sugar should be taken. Dietary management is extremely important. Also, start exercising for 30-40 minutes daily.
(3) So far, it probably is only Fatty Liver disease nothing is serious.
good health,